Friday, May 1, 2009

Some Very Old Drawings of Mine


I have been going to my Father's house for quite a few weeks now as there is much sorting and cleaning out to be done. While I was there last week I found a bundle of my drawings which I had completely forgotten about; I would have drawn these when I was about 14 years of age. I'm pleased my Dad kept these as I have unintentionally thrown out many of my paintings and drawings at some stage when I have had a big clean out or moved house, sadly including one watercolour for which I won first prize in an art competition. I do this every now and then, I get a bee in my bonnet about hanging onto things for too long. I threw out my pink satin ballet points not that long ago as well, they weren't much use to me, they haven't been for a very long time as I soon outgrew my chances of being a ballerina, I was very thin but I kept getting taller and taller and my ample (yes Pug) breasts were growing too big to flatten into the bodice of a ballet tutu. :)

Now getting back to the drawings, as you can see the paper is discoloured from age, these were not drawn on art paper but in a typical book you would use for a school project. The first lot of drawings featuring the kitties in the garden with their various gardening tools were illustrations from a book that was given to me by an Aunt, it was second hand, it belonged to her daughter. My Mum came from a family of twelve children, so there was a big age difference between the eldest grandchild and myself; I was amongst the youngest of the grandchildren so I received a few hand-me-down books, clothes and toys.


These drawings are copied from this book, not traced, I used them as models for practice. It was a lovely book and I wish I had not given it away, I cant even remember the title for I would try and buy a copy. I know my granddaughter would have loved the story of the kittens and their adventures in the garden, their daily lives and their school days; there are plenty more illustrations that I have copied but too many to post here... I have just chosen a few of my favourites.
I know they are not great drawings but you have to start somewhere and I realise that cats are not a favourite with a lot of people but here they are anyway. I'm sorry the images are all over the place I have had quite a few problems trying to align them evenly.























The white fluffy kitten below is a drawing I did of my friends kitten while it was curled up sleeping.
I dont remember what inspired me to paint the picture of the music hall singer but I thought I would post it here anyway, it is after all an 'original'.
Please click on all images to enlarge.



26 comments:

Lee said...

Lovely, whimsical pictures!

Diane said...

They're not great?! Pfffftttt. They're wonderful! I could try for 20 years to draw anything remotely resembling what it's meant to be and not come up with anything so lovely as you've done! As you did when you were 14!! Pfffftttt. They're great, woman!

laughingwolf said...

talent was obvious even at that age, dianne :)

Anonymous said...

yep

good ones, d

i especially like
that lovely lady in green

¤ ¤ ¤

/t.

dianne said...

Thanks Lee dear, they are whimsical and remind me of my childhood.

My teacher used to take me to the opera and ballet in the school holidays, I think my lady in the green dress may have been my representaton of a younger Dame Joan Sutherland, no doubt you have heard of her. ♡

dianne said...

Thanks dear Diane that is quite a compliment, I havent drawn or painted anything for a while apart from my avatar up there, a watercolour of flowers and 'crying girl' at one of my previous posts.
I must get back into the painting, I have a few ideas its just finding the time to get started and finish.

Your art is your beautiful words and how you connect with us all through your writing. ♡

dianne said...

Thanks dear laughingwolf , I guess the talent is there but I should practice more so that I dont lose it. ♡

dianne said...

Thanks dear /t. , I'm pleased you liked my lady in green, as I have just said to Lee I think it is my representation of the opera singer Joan Sutherland, when she was much younger, do you know of her? ♡

Anonymous said...

i know
the name

lovely picture

<3

dianne said...

Thanks /t. dear. <3 ♡

darkfoam said...

lovely whimsical drawings of kitties, dianne!
and your lady in green ..
she looks like she could fit right in lautrec's moulin rouge ..

dianne said...

Thanks Foamie dear, they are sure cute little kitty characters...I wish I still had the book, from what I can remember they had a magical time.

Yes the lady in green could lend herself to quite a few muscial scenarios. ♡

Anonymous said...

LOL! Cute! :-) Good copies from other's work. I like the cat because it's from real life. Show us more of your own images when you can - and definitely start painting again! XX

dianne said...

Thanks Glyn dear, they are very cute little kitties, bringing back memories of chidhood when everything seemed possible.

Yes it is good to do original art like the cat and the lady in green, I havent got much to show you really but I am going to start painting again. ♡

Diane said...

I wish I could take the credit for the photos in my 'warm fuzzies' post, but I can't. I'd give anything to be able to use a camera that way!!

Ruela said...

Beautiful and don't scares me ;))

dianne said...

Thanks dear Diane , those photos were all beautiful and you can take the credit for finding such lovely images for your post. ♡

I thought the photo of the steps leading down to that beach was beautiful. oh and those tulips and my son loved the underwater photo of the pool. ♡

dianne said...

Lol Ruela dear, gosh I hope they dont scare you they are just little kitties. ♡

I do admire your work and the talent it would take to make those moving images and the music you choose to accompany them...its just that I live a fairly shelterd life and some things do scare me just a little...but I always go back. ♡

laughingwolf said...

yes, i know all about letting talent rust, can't recall the last time i drew, or painted....

dianne said...

Yes dear laughingwolf , you do have to keep at it otherwise you lose your talent and confidence. ♡

Like me you should start up again. :)

ANNA-LYS said...

Woooooooow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..............

Tnx dear 4 your concern about my move!
It's not an overdrift -it's rather difficult to move to an island and have two sons with broken toes. No truck can move my things over water and through the forest to my "cave" :-(

I don't really understood if You didn't believe in me having 5 sons. But, I do, I do, they are born between 1978 and 1995, and is the most important in my life plus my dog :-)

I don't like to expose my private life, online, so maybe I shocked You?!?
I will be more careful in the future!

LOL

(( hug ))

dianne said...

No Anna-Lys you didnt shock me dear girl, I saw the photo of two beautiful young boys that you posted on your blog last year and I thought there were only two sons...and I remember a photo of a beautiful Grandmother?

Yes my children are very important to me plus my two grangchildren and my kitties.

Lol,I was just surprised thats all. :-)

Yes moving over water will pose some problems but I'm sure you are very capable of overcoming any problems, good luck. ♡

ANNA-LYS said...

I have giving birth to 2 sons, and fostered 3 more -> = 5 sons!

dianne said...

Good on you Anna-Lys you are a kind and loving person. ♡

ANNA-LYS said...

So R U <3

dianne said...

Thanks Anna- Lys . ♡