Friday, January 28, 2011

Louise Labé, Huitième Sonnet


I live and die; drowning I burn to death,
Seared by the ice and frozen by the fire;
Life is as hard as iron, as soft as breath;
My joy and trouble dance on the same wire.
In the same sudden breath I laugh and weep,
My torment pleasure where my pleasure grieves;
My treasure's lost which I for all time keep,
At once I wither and put out new leaves.
Thus constant Love is my inconstant guide;
And when I am to pain's refinement brought,
Beyond all hope, he grants me a reprieve.
And when I think joy cannot be denied,
And scaled the peak of happiness I sought,
He casts me down into my former grief.

Louise Labé (1524 – 1566) born in Lyon France
Eighth Sonnet - one of many translations.

Image : "Portrait of Simonetta Vespucci as Nymph"
"Idealized Portrait of a Young Lady"
Sandro Botticelli - 1445 - 1510

11 comments:

puerileuwaite said...

I had a boss like that, once.

Leovi said...

Estupendo y muy bello poema con una sensibilidad que hace que se erice la piel. No la conocía, Muchas gracias Dianne.

darkfoam said...

egads! the human condition at it's most bipolar!

dianne said...

I hope he is happier and feeling more emotionally balanced now Pugsley my sweet.

xoxoxo ♡

dianne said...

Gracias Leovi , yo también creo que es un poema muy bonito, ilustra las emociones algunos de nosotros, porque la experiencia del amor y la pérdida de la misma.

Saludos xoxoxo ♡

dianne said...

Yes Foamy dear, 'egads' is correct, but I really admire this poem, I think it is beautiful in that though it is extreme in its contrasts it describes the raw emotions that some of us have experienced because of love and when it is taken away from us.

xoxoxo ♡

Lee said...

I'm with the Pug; this is office life at the raw edge.

And it is lovely too.

dianne said...

Thank you dear Lee

The extreme experiences of life and love on the very edge of our emotions; I have felt this way about both.

Yes, it is lovely poem.

xoxoxo ♡

Craftsman of light said...

Dianne,
i take this poem as a real gift you offer, i'm glad to discovered this poet from Lyon.

Come to think of it i should post you some images of the old city and the in general of Lyon.

You know i live in the northern suburbs and frequent the city only when i need to quit the woods and the quiet village life.

i thankyou for your sweet comments too as off late i've been keeping busy at work.

hugs to you§

dianne said...

Thank you dear col ,
She is a real gift, I discovered Louise Labé last year and bookmarked some of her work. She is a wonderful poet, she has written many sonnets about love, happiness and heartbreak.
To think that this poem was written so long ago, there must have been just the same problems with love and sadness and she expresses our feelings so well ... and she was from Lyon!
This is just one of many translations, others I have read are a little different but still lovely.
Yes I know that you live in the north and you prefer the woods and the quietness of the village.
I would love to see some photos of Lyon when you have a chance to post them at your blog.
I always enjoy your beautiful poems and thank you for your wonderful and encouraging comments.
I thought you must have been very busy at work.

Hugs to you too (())

xoxoxo ♡

Sherman said...

Estupendo y muy bello poema con una sensibilidad que hace que se erice la piel. No la conocía, Muchas gracias Dianne.